Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Marine Corp Family

This weekend I was able to witness one of those precious moments when you see a troubled service member being swarmed by his fellow comrades to comfort him in his moment of depressing PTSD.  We were at the Marine Corp Ball last Saturday and boy was it a fun one!  My husband has now been out for 2 years but some of his Marine Buddies decided they want to go one more year.  I thought I wasn't going to go to another one till I was old and wrinkly and my husband would be the oldest one there sharing all his war stories with the new PFC's.  But my husband asked if we could go a month ago and boy was I excited!

The Marine Corp Ball is just like Prom but 10 times better.  You dress up in your fancy Evening gowns and you enjoy a nice dinner followed by a dance afterwards.  Why it is better than prom is because there is Alcohol there!  No crazy kids trying to spike the punch if your of legal age your dressed up fancy and drinking. Which leads to all the PTSD Outbreaks for those who have their alcoholic problems.

It was about time when we were going to call it a night when in the middle of a picture one of my husbands buddies just started crying.  And mumbling he has killed people.  He was pretty drunk by this point so my husband and his friends took him outside to get some fresh air and talk.  While the rest of us girls hung out in the lobby and watched them through the windows, I was touched by their concern for their buddy.  I watched as those men stood by his side and gave him words of encouragement.  How instead of making fun of him in his weak moment, they talked to him and told him how they understand.  

We civilians will never understand this bond.  I don't know how many times I've had to comfort my husband when he remembers the lives lost when he was in battle.  Yes I help some, but his fellow marines are the ones who know exactly how he feels and know exactly what to say to help him.  I will forever be grateful for Cole's marine buddies who have been available to help him through his dark times.  It was nice to see Cole do the same for another marine this time.  To be the strong one helping another get back up on his feet.  Cole is mostly better but he will always have those memories in his head that will haunt him from his past.  

So even though they seem fine when they come back from war, you still need to respect these men and women for what they went through.  Some of them still battle with it every day.  So hopefully you gave thanks to those you knew this past veterans day.  I have so many men in my life who have served in different branches and wars.  I will forever be grateful for the sacrifice and dedication to our country that our veterans have provided for us.  Thanks to all who have, are currently and will be serving our country.    

No comments:

Post a Comment